The BASIC OPERATION section in the the owner's manual (attached at the end of this article) has instructions for you treadmill's console and programming and for the following:
- Location of the treadmill
- Using the Safety Key
- Folding the treadmill
- Moving the treadmill
- Leveling the treadmill
- Tensioning the running belt
- Centering the running belt
- Using the heart rate function
- Check to make sure no objects are placed on the belt that will hinder the movement of the treadmill.
- Plug in the power cord and turn the treadmill ON. (The ON/OFF switch is next to the power cord.)
- Stand on the side rails of the treadmill.
- Attach the safety key clip to part of your clothing making sure that it is secure and will not become detached during operation.
- Insert the safety key into the safety keyhole in the console.
- You have two options to start your workout:
A) Quick start up
Simply press the START key to begin working out.
Time, distance, and calories will all count up from zero. OR...
B) Select a workout OR TARGET
- Select your USER by turning the workout knob and then pressing when your desired USER is displayed.
- Select your WEIGHT by turning the workout knob and then pressing when your desired WEIGHT is displayed.
- Select your PROGRAM by turning the workout knob and then pressing when your desired PROGRAM is displayed.
- Adjust the SETTING by turning the workout knob and then pressing when your desired SETTING is displayed.
- Press START to begin.
To reset the console
Hold stop key for 3 seconds.
Finishing your workout
When your workout is complete, the unit will beep. Your workout information will stay displayed on the console for 30 seconds and then reset.
Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitoring
The 7.8AT Treadmill is equipped with multi-channel Bluetooth which enables you to wirelessly connect compatible Bluetooth heart rate monitoring devices to this unit. You will need to ensure that your wireless heart rate monitoring device is Bluetooth 4.0 compatible and is also “open” to sharing data. Non-“open” or “closed” devices typically only share data with their proprietary apps. The 7.8AT Treadmill needs an “open” device to receive data from the device. You may need to consult with your device’s owner’s manual or the manufacturer to confirm if it is an open device.
If you are using a tablet and running the AFG PRO FITNESS app, the compatible Bluetooth heart rate monitoring device will pair automatically to the app. The machine’s console will then receive the heart rate information from your tablet. If you wish to use the Bluetooth heart rate monitoring device without a tablet and AFG PRO FITNESS app, press and hold the Bluetooth button on the console for 5 seconds. This will enable the console to communicate directly with the Bluetooth heart rate monitoring device. Heart rate information will be displayed on your console display. When in heart rate monitor mode, the console will be unable to communicate to the tablet. To enable tablet communication, press and hold the Bluetooth button on the console for 5 seconds or reset power.
How To Program And Use The Custom Interval Buttons
- The programmable interval buttons located on the pulse rate grips are designed to help you customize this machine to match whatever workout you like to do the most.
- The LEFT and RIGHT INTERVAL BUTTONS are programmable for speed and incline.
- To program the INTERVAL button, you must select a user, start the machine, set the desired speed and incline, press and hold the desired INTERVAL button for three seconds until the treadmill beeps. Now the INTERVAL button is programmed to your settings. After programming the INTERVAL button, it will remember the setting for that user until reprogrammed.
- Now when the INTERVAL button is pressed, the treadmill speed and incline will change to the settings you programmed for that button.
- The most common type of workout these keys will help with is interval training. We suggest programming one of the INTERVAL buttons to your high intensity segments and the other to your recovery segments.
- Another common use is to set one INTERVAL button to your warm up and cool down settings and the other to your desired workout settings.
- These buttons should allow you to customize the settings of your treadmill to quickly fit the type of workout you enjoy most.
Using Your Device
The 7.8AT Treadmill will connect and stream music form your compatible music device. This includes many smart phones and traditional mp3 players.
Your 7.8AT Treadmill comes equipped with Bluetooth speakers. Bluetooth compatible devices (running Bluetooth 4.0) can stream music wirelessly from your device to the speakers. You can also connect your music device via an audio cable and still stream music through the speakers. Instructions for both types of audio connection are detailed below.
Connecting Via Bluetooth 4.0LE
- Check to ensure that your music device is Bluetooth 4.0 compatible
- Go into your device’s Bluetooth settings and scan for devices.
- On your music device, locate the Bluetooth device list. Select your unit that appears on this list.
Wait for your music device to finish pairing with the unit.
- You will know when pairing is successful when your music device shows the unit as now being a paired device.
When The Unit Is Powered Off Then Back On
If you turn your unit off, or if it goes into sleep mode, the next time it is powered on the unit will look to pair with the last music device with which it was paired. It will automatically pair at this time.
In the event that the unit cannot find the last paired music device (for example, the music device is off or not being used) then the unit will stop looking to pair with the music device. If this happens, and if you wish to use your music device again, then you will need to go through the pairing process listed above and re-pair through your music device’s settings.
Using Multiple Music Devices
If multiple devices are being paired with the unit (i.e.: multiple users are using the unit and pairing their music devices with it) then the unit will look to pair with the last device used and “forget” other devices. If you wish to re-pair a “forgotten” music device, then you will need to un-pair the current paired device and then re-pair your device through the pairing procedure noted above.
Connecting Via An Audio Cable
- Connect the included AUDIO ADAPTOR CABLE to the AUDIO IN JACK on the top right of the console and the headphone jack on your music device.
- Use your CD / MP3 player buttons to adjust song settings.
- Remove the AUDIO ADAPTOR CABLE when not in use.
- If you don’t want to use the SPEAKERS, you can plug your headphones into the AUDIO OUT JACK at the bottom of the console. This ensures that if you accidentally catch the headphone line while running, you won’t drop your device to the ground.
AFG Tablet Connected Fitness System
Your Horizon machine is tablet ready, allowing you to use Bluetooth 4.0 technology to wirelessly connect your tablet to your Horizon machine. Using the free downloadable AFG PRO FITNESS app will enable you to control your unit’s operating functions via your tablet. The app will also allow you to monitor your workout, track your progress and view your workout history. The AFG PRO FITNESS app can be downloaded from either the iTunes store for iOS devices or from the Google store for Android devices.
For information about connecting your tablet to your Horizon machine setting up the AFG PRO FITNESS and controlling and monitoring your workout with your tablet, see the AFG Connected Fitness Manual included with your unit.